- EnCouraging Today’s Heroes / Training Tomorrow’s
This nonprofit honors Giraffe Heroes—compassionate risk-takers who are largely unknown, people who have the courage to stick their necks out for the common good, in the US and around the world.
When we tell their stories in social and traditional media, others are moved to stick their necks out too, helping solve significant public problems important to them. Our books, blogs, curricula, speeches and trainings help them succeed.
As long as there are Giraffe Heroes, there's hope. Telling the stories of heroes may be the oldest strategy in the world for motivating people into brave, compassionate action—and it works.
We offer you here—
- A free database of those real heroes. It's searchable—so you can easily find Giraffe Heroes by gender, location, age, etc. Want a collection of heroes' stories focussed on the environment? Or women's issues? Or peace-making? Or whatever? A few clicks and you've got it.
- A way to nominate a hero you've spotted
- Materials for classrooms from kindergarten thru high school
- Speakers for events
- Coaching tips to help you move into action yourself on problems that concern you
- News from our global partners
- Stories of courageous compassion that little kids can listen to, and
- Cool stuff you can buy—shirts, buttons, stickers and such.
- All those who/what/why details you'll want to check out when you have time.
Help us inspire thousands more people to take action on the public problems that test our times—and give them tools to succeed.
Please consider a monthly pledge, because income stability is golden for nonprofits. Click on the Donate Now button below and you’ll be at PayPal, where you can make a one-time gift on your credit card or by PayPal—or a monthly pledge via PayPal. If you don’t have a PayPal account, don’t worry. You can set one up in seconds, and it would really help us a lot, month after month.
More Giraffe Heroes
This is Sister Megan Rice, a nun for most of her 80+ years and a peace activist since the 1980s. She had been arrested more than three dozen times and had done time twice when she and two other peace activists performed what was called the most serious security breach in the history of US...more
This is Catherine Hamlin MD, who left her home in Australia in 1959 to provide gynecological care to poor women in Ethiopia. At 90, she's still doing that, focusing on one of the most distressing medical/social issues imaginable: obstetric fistulas.
This is an injury that women can...more
Imagine you're 11 years old and your body is twisting from scoliosis, causing you constant physical pain and making you look very different from other kids. You're scheduled for surgery to straighten your spine and your mom takes a "before" picture so you'll have a history of how you once...more
It’s an old story, unfortunately: A courageous person blows the whistle on a company that’s doing something harmful. The company ignores the harm it’s doing and exacts revenge on the courageous person. The courageous person is considered a hero by some but is probably out of a job and beset by...more
Subscribe to Heads Up, our once-in-a-while-emails